27 January 2016

Selling a house with noisy neighbours

Selling a house with noisy neighbours

Selling a house with noisy neighbours More often than not our neighbours are pleasant individuals who are friendly and welcoming or who just simply keep themselves to themselves.

However, sometimes arguments do occur between neighbours and one of the most common causes of this can be excessive noise.

   One way you can escape your noisy neighbours is to relocate, but what should you do if you fear that even your viewings might be sabotaged by your neighbour’s noise pollution? Dealing with noisy neighboursThe first thing to remember is that quite often your neighbour might not be aware of the impact they are having on the people around them.

If possible you should begin keeping a diary as soon as possible, noting down as much information as you can about any problems.

What time did the noise start? What did it sound like? When did it stop? These kinds of facts can be important when approaching your neighbour, as they are less likely to be offended or become defensive if they are presented with facts.

They can also be beneficial in that you could ask your neighbour to ensure that the barking dog or teenager who plays his music too loud is out of the house when your house viewings happen.

Reporting problems to Local AuthoritiesIf you have tried to speak to your neighbours but a problem is still occurring then you might want to consider reporting the problem to your local authority, which you can do anonymously.

They will then receive a letter about the complaint and you will be asked to complete a noise diary.

If the noise continues then the council may ask to visit your property and inspect the noise or install noise monitoring equipment.

This can eventually lead to your neighbour being issued an “abatement notice” which can mean fines of up to £5,000.

Declaring disputesWhile reporting your problem to the council might seem the best option for a permanent end to your problem, you should always consider mediation first as by law any serious disputes must be noted down to buyers when you sell your house in what is called a Property Information Form (PIF).

A PIF details any disputes or complaints between you and your neighbours and must be forwarded to the solicitor of the person who is buying your home.

This could put off potential buyers from your property and underlines why it is important to maintain a friendly relationship with your neighbours from the beginning and to try and mediate any problems from an early stage.

If you’re thinking of selling your home and looking for more information, read our free guide here, or call us on 01904 650650.

Share on social media