TOP TIPS FOR SELLING THIS SPRING
Top Tips for Selling this Spring
With Spring just around the corner, now is the time to start thinking about selling your home as traditionally, the next few months are very popular amongst potential buyers. Below are a few tips on how to prepare your property for a sale:
1. Our very top tip is set a realistic asking price! A recent survey amongst estate agency organisation, Relocation Agent Network reported that 97% of its members (including us) indicated that setting a realistic asking price from day one on a property is the most important thing a seller can do.
2. De-clutter. A prospective buyer needs to imagine themselves sitting in your living room, watching TV or making breakfast in the kitchen. But it’s difficult to do that if there’s photos of strangers everywhere or personal ornaments, so put them away ahead of viewings.
3. Spread the word. Tell family and friends that your house is on the market. Word of mouth is a great tool for finding potential buyers.
4. Kerb appeal. The very first impression a buyer makes of your property, is based on what the exterior looks like. Take the time to check outside and make any repairs before you enter the market, it will show the buyer that the property has been well maintained.
5. Heart of the home. The kitchen can often be one of the most important rooms for buyers to see. If yours is relatively new, great, if it isn’t then consider fitting new cupboard doors and handles to freshen the room up.
6. Make the best of your bathroom. If it’s looking a little tired, consider getting your bathroom professionally cleaned. You could also replace the tiles to improve appearances, or if the budget won’t stretch to re-tiling, then re-grout instead.
7. Lick of paint. It’s amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do to enhance a room’s appearance, but remember not to pick a colour that is too bright or too dark.
8. Green fingers help. Remember to tidy your front and back gardens. At most viewings, the buyer will see the front garden first, so a broken fence or cracked paving slab, will not make a good first impression. Back gardens are fast becoming an additional room for buyers, so make sure yours is tidy and well kept. If you have a patio, put out the garden furniture to show buyers the potential for al fresco dining!
9. Get the feather duster out. Don’t just give a quick vacuum, your property should be the-Queen-is-coming-to-tea clean!
10. Ask us! As a member of Relocation Agent Network – a national network of independent estate agents – Hudson Moody have been selected as the best agent in our area for customer service and local expertise, so if you have a property-related question, get in touch.