Why Kerb Appeal Matters !
Tuesday 6 April 2021
First impressions are important. That's why your home must have great Kerb appeal when you're selling. The outside of your home is the first thing that potential buyers will see. It can help them decide whether or not they'd like to view the inside as well. Here are some questions about curb appeal that we frequently get, and what you need to know to make your home stand out.
What is Kerb appeal?
"Kerb appeal" is a phrase often associated with real estate. But what does it mean? Kerb appeal is what your home looks like from the street. It's combination of design elements that can create a pleasing exterior. When your home has Kerb appeal, it is often described as being cute, inviting, charming, elegant, sophisticated, or welcoming.
Why is Kerb appeal so important?
Kerb appeal is crucial when you're selling your home. Often, the exterior of your home is the first thing a potential buyer will see -- either online or when they're driving by. They will form an opinion based on what the outside of your home looks like, which will help them decide if they want to see more. But that isn't the only reason that Kerb appeal is so important. It can actually increase the value of your home. In fact, it is estimated that Kerb appeal can add as much as 7 percent to your home's value.
How can I improve my home's Kerb appeal?
The great news is that Kerb appeal is one of the easiest things to create when you're selling your home. Here are some ideas for creating excellent Kerb appeal when you're selling:
- Stagethe area around your front door with plants, new house numbers, and a fresh coat of paint
- Plant window boxes with fresh colourful flowers
- Add exterior lights to pathways and driveways
- Clean up the landscaping including trimming trees and bushes, pulling weeds, and mowing the lawn
What mistakes should I avoid?
While it's easy to add Kerb appeal to your home, there are some mistakes that you should avoid. These include:
- Completely redoing the landscape. You only need to concentrate on a few key areas to make a real difference in your Kerb appeal.
- Choosing paint colours that are too bright or not currently popular. Opt instead for neutralshades that blend well with your neighbourhood.
- Making your landscape very personal -- it should appeal to the widest swath of buyers as possible.
- Not committing to the upkeep of your Kerb appeal while your home is for sale. Be sure to keep the lawn mowed and the plants and flowers watered while your property is on the market.
How much do I need to spend?
Adding some strategic enhancements to your home's exterior when you sell is both easy and budget-friendly. In fact, you shouldn't spend too much on updating your home's Kerb appeal. Many of the upgrades you can make yourself, and you shouldn't need to spend more than a few hundred pounds to really make a difference in your home's aesthetic.
Need more moving advice? Hudson Moody has been hand-selected by Relocation Agent Network to be York's Local Expert when it comes to buying, selling, and renting.
Contact us today at www.hudson-moody.com or 01904 650650 to find out more.